Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Love you madly carrot cake

Seriously, love this cake madly.  As madly as the band, and more than the "real deal".



I shaved about, oh, I dunno... 5 medium sized carrots.  Threw 'em in the food processor with enough walnuts to cover them, four dates (pitted, not peeled), a sprinkling of cinnamon and a slice of ginger.  FullyRawKristina used turmeric and about three times the amount of everything, but I didn't have a pound and a half of dates to spare so I cut her recipe drastically and it still made enough for a 9 inch pan full.

I also subbed a drizzle of maple syrup and some milled flax seeds to make up for the lack of dates.

No measuring needed.  I hate measuring, even with the cute nesting doll cups that my tall, dark, and handsome bought me last week. 

For the frosting I used some leftover cream cheese frosting I used on my raw cinnamon rolls Sunday.  Basically it was a cup of soaked cashews, vanilla, the juice of half a lemon, and the tiniest bit of maple syrup

Well that shit got hard in the fridge, so I put it back in the blender with the juice of two oranges, hoping to turn out a nice orange cream fluffisting.  No go.  I got an orange cashew smoothie with the consistency of milk.

Lesson learned.  I did some googling for thickeners suitable for raw foodists and turned up no great fix.

I spooned in some raw, organic creamed honey.  Local, too, so YAY.  and that did jack and shit to help.

So I tried coconut oil.  Jack and shit really seemed to be loving me, because they stuck around long after they'd over-stayed their welcome.

I said, "well... fuck it.  When all else fails turn to the cold."  *insert one of my depressing, more poetic lines here*

A half hour in the freezer and a good stirring later I had perfect frosting. 

Boom. Carrot Cake.  And I love it madly.

Tall, dark, and handsome does too, so the lesson-already-learned there is to eat fast while it lasts. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment