Monday, March 4, 2013

Timeless transformations

Poetry and I go through spells where we just don't get along.  It wrecks my life and I wreck its legacy.  This is one of those times.  In the meantime, I've gone raw.  By that I mean, I'm only eating raw plants foods.

So I was hunting a particular recipe this morning for a scrumptious marinara that I tried earlier in the month.  The search was futile, I turned up nothing useful in the rainforests worth of papers cluttering up my home.  So I decided to keep track of my rawnesses in a safer place... Enter The Internet. *insert forced, but maniacal loling here* 

Without the creative drive to invent a new blog, with a new title, and a new username, and a new everything I decided to use this barren wasteland for something other than a place to hang my darker side.

After all, I'm transforming my entire life, I may as well transform my blog, too.  It seems only fair.  Or right.  Or easier.  Or all of the above.

So far (about three weeks in) I feel great.  Physically I feel top notch.  Emotionally,  however, that's been another story. For the last week or so I've been so moody that I can hardly stand myself.  I've been hostile, irritable, bordering violent, even suicidal (as if that's unusual or something).  Anyway, it may have been delayed PMS coupled with detoxification, that's my best guess anyway.  I have no idea what really happened, or why, but I'm starting to recover. This morning I actually smiled for no reason, and it wasn't a terribly good morning, the kids were late to school for the first time this year, I'm bleeding like a stuck hog, and there was some super intense sibling conflict, too.  Sooooo.... we shall see. There's a certain amount of promise lingering in the air.

Anyway, the point is to keep track of shit.  So here's the shit I'm tracking today.

Modified Butternut Cous-Cous with Curried sauce.

I do *not* own a fancy pants blender that will turn even the hardest coconut meat to a fine puree, free from all chunkiness. So my sauces, puddings, soups, etc... all come out on the side of the texture spectrum that doesn't agree with my sensitivity to texture.

Despite this small problem, I made some soup.

I chopped up a butternut squash in my food processor, to a cous-cous like consistency.  Then I removed about 2/5 of that and put it aside.

One mango, 2 cups of fresh OJ, 2 cups of water, and 2 TBSPs of curry, and a few minutes of blending later I had "soup".

It was terrible, mostly due to the awful texture.

Then I threw a couple handfuls of walnuts and a a couple handfuls of pecans into the magic chopping machine until they were pretty much dust.  I mixed that in with the cous-cous looking squash I'd reserved from the pre-soupified butternut. Next, I threw in some craisins.

It was not too bad but it was D-R-Y.  I'm sorry, but even at my most suicidal I don't want to go out choking on some dry ass butternut/walnut blend.

So I thought, what the hell... I'll put them together.

And lo, it was good!  Not just kinda good.  It was a flavor fest of awesome.  Divine.

I've gotta say, my favorite thing about my new diet is that it's not an exact science.  I just chop, toss, blend, and juice.  It's earthy.  It's random. It's delicious.  It's awesome.  Not to mention, my skin's clearing up, my breathing is improved (despite continuing my nasty smoking habit), my intestines are happy for the first time in my ENTIRE life, my dizzy spells are GONE, my energy levels are off the charts, I need far less sleep, and apparently... I am already glowing.

Glowing is good, I think.  Unless you're radioactive, then it's only good if it comes with superpowers, but I'm starting to feeeeeeel like the hulk, so that's all good... until you make me mad anyway.  Then it's just as scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment